if it ain't fun,
it ain't bonsai!
Golden Arrow Bonsai
"Let Yourself Go Wild"
Ancient Collected Trees
Andrew Smith, 22473 Alpine Acres Dr., Deadwood, S.D. 57732 605-342-4467
The Dragon of the Mountains Remains
To contact me use .
Shipping Info: Shipping estimates are based on FedEx Home Delivery. They are estimates, and may be adjusted up or down depending on your location.
For customers in The Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois, including Metro St Louis, I recommend Spee-Dee Delivery, which is about half, or less, of the FedEx rate.
From September through May smaller trees can ship standard post, again at about half the FedEx rate. Tools and other items can be shipped priority mail.
This is Page 1
Trees for Bonsai
I went hiking with my son and he showed me an old "Black Hills Forest Reserve" survey marker he had found. The Forest Reserve system was started by President Grover Cleveland and was a precurser to the US Forest Service and the National Forest system. The Black Hills Forest Reserve was established in 1897. The Forest Service was born in 1905.
100. Tree # 100P108. Species: Ponderosa pine. Estimated age: 50 years. Collected 5/17. Price: $175. Estimated shipping: $85. Comments: A graceful pine.
101. Tree # 101S10. Species: Black Hills spruce. Estimated age: 85 years. Collected 5/17. Price: $775. Estimated shipping: $155. Comments: Super nice old spruce. Next step, this spring, is to reduce the heavy surface root so it can fit a pot better.
102. Tree # 102S39. Species: Colorado spruce. Estimated age: 200 years. Collected 6/18. Price: $3500. Estimated shipping: $400. Comments: A monstrously good spruce!
104. Tree # 104P181. Species: Ponderosa pine. Estimated age: 30 years. Collected: 10/18. Price: $100. Estimated shipping: $35. Comments: A small twin trunk pine.
105. Tree # 105H18. Species: Kinnikinick. Estimated age: 50 years. Collected 10/18. Price: $125. Estimated shipping: $35. Comments: An unusual plant. Red berries, evergreen leaves. Use as a small bonsai or an accent.
108. Tree # 108P70. Species: Ponderosa pine. Estimated age: 100 years. Collected: 5/18. Price: $575. Estimated shipping: $275. Comments: A very nice old pine waiting to become a great bonsai.
Comments: Winter has come early to the Black Hills this year, but maybe fall will come back for at least a little while. One nice thing about winter is that the long nights leave time for doing things that don't get done in summer; reading, writing, even wiring trees!
106. Tree # 106P160. Species: Ponderosa pine. Estimated age: 30 years. Collected 5/19. Price: $125. Estimated shipping: $80. Comments: A vigorous young pine with some character.
107. Tree # 107J20. Species: Rocky Mountain juniper. Estimated age: 200 years. Collected 10/16. Price: $1525. Estimated shipping: $250. Comments: An old juniper off to a great start.
We've been working in parts of Custer State Park that burned over in the late fall of 2018. Much of it is a forest of charcoal sticks and we come home looking like chimmney sweeps! Small, bonsai-type pines are often protected from direct flames by a rock outcrop, but are killed by radiant heat anyway. It can take a mature pine years, or even decades, to succumb to the fire, as the burn injury allows rot to slowly eat away the trunk. Or not, -most of the older pines in the forest have visible fire scars from fires they survived.